1. Native Americans lived in America before the Europeans arrived.
2. The Pilgrims landed on Plymouth Rock in Massachusetts in 1620.
3. The U.S. flag has 13 stripes because there were 13 original colonies.
4. The 13 original colonies became the first 13 states. Jamestown (Virginia) was the first permanent English colony in the New World.
5. The first governing document of the new colonies was the Mayflower Compact. It was written and signed by the pilgrims who landed on Plymouth Rock in 1620. It followed a majoritarian model of government.