1. Thomas Jefferson supported individual rights, especially freedom of religion.
2. Colonists who favored strong individual rights opposed a strong national government.
3. The Anti-Federalists wanted a list of things the federal government could not do.
4. James Madison wrote a list of individual rights and limits of the government. His list became the United States Bill of Rights, and it was approved in 1791. The Bill of Rights includes the first ten amendments to the Constitution.
5. Freedoms and rights require enforcement and support by the police and courts in order to be effective.